Tuesday, October 7, 2008
el jardin
After months of don't pick that it's not ready, don't step there we just planted, I let the kids loose in the garden. And after months of planting, weeding and finally harvesting here are my "yes we're still learning" garden tips:
1. Cross-pollination happens! We ended up with zucchini pumpkins and pumpkin zucchini.
2. Kids eat their veggies much more willingly when they pick them straight out of the garden.
3. Pole beans need a lot more than 4 feet to climb-up (we ended up with a green bean jungle!)
4. Pick 'em and they will grow. I had no idea last year how many beans I could have ended up with if I hadn't given up picking in September. We're still picking and our cupboard/freezer can't take anymore!
5. Beets are good for more than just the root (yummy beet greens recipe)
6. Peas grow in cold weather (we'll see how cold- we just planted a new crop last week)
7. Kids and gardening- It's so much more fun to do it all together even if a few seeds might not pop up and a few too many green tomatoes are picked.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
You are such an example to us! One of these days we'll either get a backyard or just build some garden boxes and then I'll be calling your for tips. Those beans were so tasty!
I LOVE these pics! Especially the one with the carrots, you can totally see him taking a bite of one!!! LOL! Oh, and I totally agree with your facts, especially the one where the kids eat them! Justin eats peas now that we planted some in our little 2 foot by 7 foot dirt strip!
Cool garden! I love your front porch by the way! James told me all about your pumpkin zucchini in primary today :)
It all looks so good. Wish I had a garden. Good job!
Those pictures are beautiful! I need to plant a garden next year. Thanks for the advice. Oh, and I love that picture of Sam with your dad's! That's so neat!
Hi Stacy! I saw your blog through Libby's blog. She's my neighbor. Anyways, your garden sounds amazing. I love the look on the kids faces...you can tell they're really enjoying picking the the goods. I hope to see you again sometime. -Nadia
Post a Comment