Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Lunchbox Dilemma

At the beginning of the school year Kate really wanted a lunchbox. I told her she didn't really need one and that paper bags would have to suffice. She really didn't say anything more about it. So this morning I made her lunch, handed it to her and then said "oh, wait I forgot to put your name on it!" Kate says "It's ok mom, everybody knows it my lunch, I'm the only one that brings a bag"

Right away I thought oh, I should go get her a lunchbox, you know so she fits in. But then I thought, it doesn't really seem to bother her that she's different than everyone else. But then I thought, but all the other kids have cute lunchboxes, am I depriving my child? But then I thought maybe this is good character building...

the lunchbox dilemma.

Photobucket

5 comments:

Mikey, Anna, Lillie and Sam said...

So my mom made me lunch all through elementary school and jr high. I remember asking her a few times if she would get me a lunch box every time she would say they cost to much money. I think now if she would have bought me a lunch box early on she really could have saved a ton of money in those nine years of bagged lunches. As for character building I was also the only one with a bag it never really bothered me much either and I think I turned out alright in the end.

Sheila said...

HAhahaha!! I love how now as parents we analyze everything!! I'm not really sure how much lunch boxes cost, but it's probably nice that she just gets to throw her whole lunch away at the end of lunch instead of having to drag around a stinky old lunch box all the way BACK to the classroom before going to recess. I'd look for a sale and surprise her one day!

Khayyam said...

yeah, it's a tough question. david wants a lunch box too. for now, he doesn't get a lunch box.

Erin Gibbons said...

I love your quick, funny blog posts with pictures! They're great! Shea asked for a lunch box for his birthday, isn't that funny? His was more practical in that he wouldn't have to either fight for fridge space at school, or have warm yogurt. He is enjoying his so far! Hope all is well!

Dave and Loralee said...

a dilemna indeed!!! I can just picture that conversation with her and you with your thoughts running while having that conversation and it makes me LAUGH OUT LOUD! you're such a good mom, no matter what :)