Thursday, February 4, 2010

January- It's come and gone

Wow! January is usually the longest most dreadful month in my book but this year it seemed to fly by. In part because the weather feels more like March or April but also life just seems to speed up as the kids get older.

We also added in the mix 2 birthday parties. When I mentioned to Chris that it was James' year to have a friend birthday party he said "what do you mean, aren't we going to have parties every year?" So Kate, had one too.

Because Kate and James' birthdays are right after Christmas we decided to spread out the fun and celebrate their birthdays with friends a month later. As if having a birthday right after Christmas isn't confusing enough...
The week before James' party he kept talking about his birthday coming up. So the day of his birthday party he was telling Sam "so now that I'm 6..." I had to explain to him that we were still celebrating is 5 yr birthday.

Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
James wanted a basketball party so we played a few "basketball" games. My favorite was Kate's "pin the basketball on James." Chris kept the kids busy with a game of hoops- everyone against dad and he had to play on his knees.
Photobucket
The most exciting part- opening presents!
Photobucket
I had the 3 year olds help me put the candles in the cake, so we ended up with a few more than 5.
PhotobucketPhotobucket
So after all is said and done the most important question - did James have fun...
I think his face says it all :)

And a week later...


Photobucket

Kate is a planner. She had her guest list and party plan all set out weeks in advance. And like any 7 year old girl she had LOTS of plans. I told her that she had a $20 budget. She really wanted a Littlest Pet Shop birthday theme but we weren't real successful in finding anything so we took a trip to Hobby Lobby. After picking out paper for the invitations (I was really just there with the credit card- Kate has a mind of her own and knew just what she wanted) she saw the pinatas. So keeping in mind her $20 dollar limit she bought the pinata and started paring down her plans. All in all it was a very fun party filled with plenty of squeals and noise!
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
She really wanted to buy a fancy cake that matched her Pet Shop theme but since she spent most of her money on the pinata she told me that she wanted to make her cake and she was going to decorate it herself. The girls loved it!
Photobucket

3 comments:

The Imperfect Pie said...

so cute!! love the theme, the cake, the cupcakes. what fun

Erin Gibbons said...

Cute cakes! You have certainly had a busy, extended, holiday season! I am jealous of your weather report however. Shea's school was canceled today and it's been snowing all day.

Lacey said...

What a super mom! I can't believe you did two parties in one month! I'm definitely NOT going to ever do that. One just puts me over the edge! That Pet Shop cake is so cute. My girls are so into the Pet Shops. I may have to copy Kate's idea in March for the girls.