Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Youth Conference Trek

Chris and I had the privilege, blessing of being a "Ma & Pa" on our stake youth conference trek this year. We had a great time and had a really great group of kids. It was a great opportunity to experience even just a tiny bit of what the pioneers experienced and the kind of faith they must have had. We "trekked" about 20 miles over 3 days and the youth pushed, pulled the 300 lbs + handcart in rain, wind, snow and hail! And through it all the most amazing part to me was the incredibly positive attitude of all the youth. They gave up all cell phones, ipods and warm beds, put on pioneer clothes and came out to walk in mud and pull heavy handcarts up hills and sleep in the rain. And yet I didn't ever hear any of them complain. I think they too realized the incredible hardship the pioneers went through to come to a place where they could worship in peace and lay a foundation for us. The youth today are challenged in so many ways but I'm so grateful to know that these youth have a strong foundation and strong testimonies and really they can overcome and accomplish anything if they rely on the Lord and I hope that they learned that on this trek.

I took a few pictures the second day but thought I better pack it away with all the rain for the rest of the trip. So here are just a few.




Our "family" was self-named "Los Banditos" and the kids named Chris "El Guapo" subsequently we had a plethora of Nacho Libre impersonations the entire trek.

5 comments:

nmhomebodies said...

Is that "Pa" they're pushing/pulling in that handcart?NM Homebodies

Lacey said...

What a fun experience!!

The Three Musketeers and their Mommy said...

What an amazing experience!
I love your pictures that you took below. Even if your kids didn't want to cooperate, they still turned out great!

Dave and Loralee said...

I'm so glad you updated! AWESOME that you got to go on the trek. what a fun experience. and I love your "willing" models :) Up until recently, that was Bree. GOOD TIMES! I miss you :)

Kari said...

That's so fun, Stace. I still have such vivid memories of when we went. Do you remember?? Such a testimony builder of our pioneers!